Thursday, May 2, 2013

Learning from the Drop


Learn from the Drop: my first drupal event


It started last August 2012 from a course requirements in Computer Science Seminar in which we are to organize and conduct our own seminar as required in our program. I got help from a friend from Developers Connect Philippines (DEVCON) to get a Resource Speaker from their pool of developer professionals. They pointed me to Mr. Paul De Paula currently advocating Open Source Technologies specifically Drupal. After weeks of preparation and communication with the resource speakers, at last the seminar have been conducted and got a good remarks from our instructors. With sir Paul is Ms. Gemma Devanadera currently the Head Organizing Committee of Philippine Drupal Users Group (PHDUG) announced during the seminar about joining the community and learning more about Drupal. 

Sir Gerald Villorente from Kitesystems and one of the Drupal Rockstars
Sir Young Jin Kim from Chicago, the Master Ninja of Drupal

Ms. Gem Devanadera, head organizer of the drupal event
Me as the volunteer emcee of the event
I was invited to attend the Learn from the Drop event which at first i thought would be a hassle since we were busy in our thesis and the venue is very far from our province. I was asked by Ate Gem (refer to her as big sister in the community) to volunteer as emcee. I was surprised for the first task given to me although I've been communicating in different public events. At that event i got the chance to meet personally the people in the PHDUG community and get to know them. Indeed, it was an awesome experience meeting developers eager to share what they know in Drupal development to the newbies and professionals. It was a followed by another amazing event and another and another. I was happy to meet new friends and mentors in drupal and also to contribute my time, skills and efforts for the community.


Drupalizing the Philippines and beyond

And now, I was blessed to have a work related to Drupal as Drupal Developer in a company in Pampanga. I felt the achievements and worthiness of my initiatives and efforts in learning drupal that would be beneficial for my professional career now. With these outpouring blessings and support from the community, I believe it is indeed an honor to give back and pay it forward what I gain. I would like to share this verse, "For whoever gives you a cup of water to drink in My name, because you belong to Christ, assuredly, I say to you, he will by no means lose his reward." Mark 9:41

Evolving from the community to the Drupal World as Drupal Developer
I urged students in Information Technology Education and even for non-IT but have the passion for technology and the web to join the PHDUG community. Rest assured that you will be accommodated in your learning needs. You can start by joining our facebook group - Philippine Drupal Users Group and like our page Drupal Pilipinas. Then get in touch with the community members, volunteers and mentors. Join different awesome events organized by Drupal. And lastly, give back or pay it forward what you gain from the community. 

It really started from a drop of curiosity, a drop of initiative and a drop of passion to learn new technologies. In which these drops would cause a good ripple in your career like for me it paves way for an employment in the Drupal World. Maybe soon in the future, you will be one of the mentors and Drupal Rockstars speaking in different events. You may share your skills and talents in the following areas: 
  • Passionate in Organizing events, meet ups and trainings
  • Bloggers
  • Trainors
  • Speakers for drupal,PHP,Git,Drush, module development
  • Host/Emcee
  • On site committee for registrations
  • Social Networking 
  • Marketing 
  • Good in Documentations and reports
  • Photographer and Videographer
Want to be Drupalize? JOIN NOW! 
Please don't hesitate to send us a message or email Gem at gemmadevanadera@gmail.com

Philipine Drupal Users Group, a community that grows bigger and better!


3 comments: